Sustainability in Math Ed Reflection

Today's class was one of the richest so far, in my experience. I was really impressed by the quality of thought and discussion in our breakout room. It was also nice to have a group where everyone shared their experiences and thoughts. I'm wondering what caused the discussion today to be so successful and think that possibly the subjective and personal nature of the subject matter is what had that effect. 

In terms of content, I was pleasantly surprised to hear how accepting the group was of incorporating some spirituality and kinship into the math classroom. I reflected on this already within our group comment on the blog post, but I really view math as a tool for increasing our wonder in the natural world, rather than decreasing it by "demystifying." I was inspired to hear so many other teacher candidates with that view and am coming out of today really looking forward to school placements in the coming weeks.

Comments